Thursday, October 30, 2008

Keen Critic

On the inside cover of the Top Flight Chub notebook that I carry with me is written: Be a keen observer, a critical thinker. I need the reminder most of the time. Yesterday I was reading a book review of Michael Brooks' The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time on Discovermagazine.com and the reviewer made a comment that made me chuckle. "Choose carefully, researcher: You are deciding whether posterity will view you as a visionary, reactionary, or crank."
I'm not a scientist, so any whiff of crankism around me is not only allowable, but expected if not preferred. Still, being out in the world and experiencing it demands that I pay attention. Hence my reminder to observe and think. Weather permitting this weekend, MK and I plan on getting out into the world and hopefully discovering a few natural gems here and there. I've been boning up on the geology of Pennsylvania. It seems to make the hikes more exciting.

3 comments:

Natazzz said...

There's nothing wrong with crank...I take that over visionairy or what was the other one? any day...

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who loves the cranks ;) The 'other one', is the 'reactionary', my least favorite of the bunch (and probably the most abundant).

Unknown said...

hope you got to enjoy the weekend and find those gems...

enjoy your week..you and MK.

:-)