Sunday, October 12, 2008

Glorious Philly Boo Birds

There's not much love lost between the City of Brotherly Love and the Steel City. In fact, around Pittsburgh we joke that Philadelphia is where our tax dollars go to die. That seemed funnier before the Honorable Mayor Ravenstahl started bankrupting Pittsburgh, but you get the idea.
Much of how I view Philly changed over the weekend when veep hopeful (heh) Sarah Palin ceremoniously dropped the puck before a Flyers - Rangers match-up and the Wachovia Center crowd roundly booed her. Thinking about it brings a tear to my eye. Never have I been so proud to be a Pennsylvanian. To my eastern PA commonwealthers, I say thank you. Being a Penguins fan, I am sworn to despise the Flyers, but that's going to be tougher now since your fans have the good sense to loudly and longly boo this tool.
And I can't help but wonder if she was needling Tina Fey a bit with her visit to PA, because Fey is, afterall, from the Philly suburb of Upper Darby. Naw, it couldn't be anything that petty. I mean the McC/Palin ticket trails Obama/Biden in the polls by over 14 points. Surely someone wouldn't be poking around here with only a little over three weeks left in the campaign to try and swing us in their direction when there are other battleground states where the numbers are within reach, right? No one is that base and stupid, right? Right?

4 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

Philly, sniff, I feel like I never really knew you! It's tough being at opposite ends of the state with Alabama between us. First, you provide a home to the most excellent Mutter Museum, and now this. Aw, ya big lug, have some pirogies on me!

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I'll have some pierogies on you! But you know what? I'm just shocked that the Mutter didn't have a better gift shop. Hardly anything there and in such a tiny corner. I was willing to spend BIG money there for the right immitation oddities, and you know how tight-fisted I am. But there was like a whole lot of dumb crap. Where were the faux syphilis heads? The faux shrunken heads? The tumors in a jar? I don't want a 1000 piece puzzle of human neurology, I want the fake brain floating around in a pickle jar!
I tell you, if the Mutter hired me for marketing, that gift shop would see sales jump by 4000% in the first year, even in this crappy economy. Cuz one of a kind gifts are hard to come by, and this place has the market cornered.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I've always loved philly. It's probably the childhood trips there when we went to visit my grandparents in s. jersey. After the fabulous boo-fest, I love the city even more.

And one more thing...I have an awsome shot glass from the Mutter. It's decorated with a picture of the conjoined-twins-with-the-giant craniums-skeleton. But you're right--a tumor in a jar would be more fun. Or, they could make a plush version of the giant colon. It could be used as a body pillow. I'd buy one.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Gypsy...LOL! Brilliant idea for the grievously enlarged colon body pillow! If only I knew how to sew...
BTW, I'll bring the whiskey so that we can do a couple of shots from your Mutter glass ;)