Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lemon Balm Tea

Several weeks ago, while walking the dog, I discovered a patch of lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) growing wild. I picked some and took it home to make tea. Then I went back later with a pot and a trowel and dug some up so that we could have some in the house over the winter for tea. MK immediately got hooked on the lemon balm tea. It's very refreshing, and it's supposed to be a stress reducer. I'm having a cup of it right now and feel completely relaxed. So relaxed that I could go back to bed, if I didn't have a mountain of work in front of me.
Anyway, lemon balm is easy to grow and maintain, the tea can be made from either fresh or dried leaves, and the medicinal claims that it aids in everything from painful menstrual cramps to lowering a fever to soothing the bronchial tubes, make it worthwhile addition to the home herb garden.
I didn't mean to sound so rah-rah in that last sentence, but I really do love this stuff, and can't recommend it highly enough.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Careful, though -- my experience with growing lemon balm in Pittsburgh is that it does really well. REALLY well. As in, "it takes over the garden" well.

but useful, lovely herb, beloved by bees?

Yes.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Hey Pan, I'm only growing it in pots, so, unless it escapes and takes over the house and turns us into phytozombies, in which case we're a screenplay that writes itself (my favorite kind!), we're all good :)
And yeah, it's 'the beloved by bees' thing, hence the taxonomic name (melissa being derived from the greek for honey bee, right?).

Anonymous said...

Lemon Balm is delightful!

I once planted both Lemon Balm and Chocolate Mint in my tiny garden and as pandora mentioned, it tried to take over! I was told that any plant with a square stem (lemon balm, bee balm, mint, etc.)can be a bit of a thug, but...what a lovely, fragrant and tasty "thug."

Hmmm...I may try planting herbs in pots too(as you've suggested), Jennifer. I miss having an herb garden.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I know that you cook, H, so fresh herbs are the best, and the cheapest ;)

Unknown said...

my own personal herbalist...i love it...now i'll have to forage the woods of Ontario and see if i can find some too

:-)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article on lemon balm tea.

I found this website useful for Herb Gardening tips http://www.herbgardeningtoday.com. I think you guys will find it interesting too.

Thanks,
Steve - Home herb garden