Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy 250, dammit


The city of Pittsburgh is awash in colored light (courtesy of Lucette de Rugy) to celebrate its 250th birthday. Once a muddied outpost controlled by the French(and burned to the ground when they abandoned it to the Brits and colonists), Pittsburgh has remade itself countless times over the centuries. Once an important boat building center for river travel, then the largest glass manufacturer in the country, and of course the steel behemoth.
Now Pittsburgh in once more finding its identity. I don't know what that identity is or will be, and I don't care much because I'm too distracted looking at the pretty.
MK and I were in the Oakland section of the city Friday night to catch the Squonk Opera, "Astro-Rama" being staged outdoors at Shenley Plaza, across the street from the beautifully lit Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh campus. The sci-fi-ish opera had some good moments, but was desperately in need of some editing (not to mention better scoring, and some cogency), so MK and I wandered around to look at the shiny and the pretty.
It was a mighty chilly night out there, my friends. I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to break out the gloves and scarves.

No comments: