Monday, November 3, 2008

Revisiting an Angel, somewhat obsessively

I've been tinkering with this image lately, blowing it up to 11x14, trying to figure out if this is something I want to hang on the wall. The snow and the patina on the angel kind of appeal to me, yet I don't know why. Maybe it just seems cold and harsh, starkly aged, brutal solitude. I dunno.
Anyway, here's an interesting tidbit for horror and cemetery fans alike: H. P. Lovecraft's headstone reads, I Am Providence. He was a life long resident of Providence, RI, and for all I know that's what he meant with that, but it's eerie nonetheless, no? Anyone who has read his work knows that to think of Lovecraft as actual 'providence' is unnerving. I think the duplicity in meaning probably appealed to him.

5 comments:

Natazzz said...

Hang it. I would.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I'm going to hang it :)

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful image, but then...you know how much I love cemeteries.
:-)

This photograph makes me think of the song "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" (from Phantom of the Opera):
"Passing bells and sculpted angels
Cold and monumental
Seem for you the wrong companions
You were warm and gentle."

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

H, you have GOT to come to Pgh and walk the cemeteries with us. To sweeten the deal, I'll even take you to the Evans City cemetery where Night of the Living Dead was filmed :) It's a magical place ;) I finally took Caty there over the summer. Best name on a headstone: Bird White.

Anonymous said...

Dear Author u-holler.blogspot.com !
Excuse, I have removed this message