Saturday, November 15, 2008

Prop 8 Protest Pittsburgh

This afternoon MK and I joined about 500 or so other people at Schenley Plaza, between the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University campuses in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, for the National Protest March against Prop 8. I have to disclose one thing about my personality: I'm not a joiner. I'm not antisocial, I just don't enjoy being part of something big, or organized, especially if bylaws are involved. But I thought that this was important, and I want to marry MK one day, preferably legally right here in Pennsylvania. So, I stuffed my dread of being an active participant in anything (including my own fate) down into the same dark hole that harbors the vestiges of my Christian upbringing and off we went!
Even though the meteorologists all predicted meteors, I mean rain, all day, it was clear for our entire rally and march. See? Some aspect of god loves us :) It was exhilarating! The people were not only hopeful, but ENERGIZED. The coattails of the Obama presidency spread wide enough for us all to believe that change not only can come, but will come. A woman somewhat older than me sidled over to us at one point and said, "I never thought that I live to see this day...But, here we all are." Yes, indeed. All of us. Gay, straight, white, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, African-American. All there, chanting and marching down Forbes Avenue, up Craig Street, down Fifth Avenue. Over and over chanting, 'What do we what? EQUALITY! When do we want it? NOW!' My throat was raw by the time we wound things up. Drivers on the streets beeped their horns in support, workers came out of businesses to cheer us on and wave their arms in collective solidarity. It was a powerful experience. I am so glad that we attended.
The photo accompanying this post is of one of the many families attending. The sign reads: Focus On Your Own Damn Family. Heh, Dobson and his Focus on the Family minions will be getting an email from me shortly relaying the message.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's my son in your picture!! We were equally energized by today's events! :)
Marti

Anonymous said...

I went to the Cleveland rally.
It was cold, rainy and windy and we were all drenched, but...it felt good to "be there" to protest Prop 8.

"Focus on Your Own Damn Family"...
Indeed!
(That's great!)
:-)

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Marti, how cool is that! I was so pleased to see such a diverse crowd all promoting the same message. It was really encouraging to see that so many people in this country still believe in the rights of the people as prescribed in the constitution :)
H, I wondered if you were marching in Cleveland...you brave soul :)