Friday, October 5, 2007

Zombie-ism


I realize that this is neither here nor there, but I've been working on this zombie novel for three and half years. Well, truth be told, for the last two years I've been actively avoiding finishing it. It's a sick dance. I look at it, it looks at me, and then I move away slowly, but not without a certain elegance.

But then, all of the sudden last night I realized what my problem was: I lacked a proper metaphor in which to frame my tale of blind brain eating. So I wisely chose to not look for the metaphor, nor wait for the universe to give me one. Instead, I thought I'd do what has become a time honored tradition in my family. Give up.

Then, just as I was getting used to the idea of finally not shooting suspicious glances at the pile of notebooks (I old fashioned), the ideal metaphor crept on spider legs into the forefront of my consciousness. Damn! Now I have to finish the cursed thing! My hand is already cramping up in anticipation.

After it's done, I guess I get to explore the exciting world of self publishing. Miss Kitty? Do we have room for crates of books in the basement?

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Jennifer,

This picture scared the mess out of me!!

I feel you on the book project. I have a book that is basically done and now abandoned, because I after I started writing more material, I began to question the writing style in that manuscript. But it's great to finish, so I'm glad you were inspired.

Anyway, good luck on completing it...i just hope that pic isn't on the cover:-)