Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not This Year

Well, I did it again. I missed the chance to sample fiddlehead ferns before they opened up. A clutch of them grow at the west corner of the porch and ever since I found out that they're edible I've wanted to try them steamed with a little butter and salt and pepper. I started watching them a month ago, but not much was happening. Then I got my period last week and forgot about everything. When I checked on the fiddleheads on Sunday they were all opened, rendering them bitter and considered inedible.
Dang! They're supposed to be delicious and a delicacy. It just figures. Now I have to wait until next year.

5 comments:

TheWeyrd1 said...

Okay...um...does that count as TMI? Heh...too bad about the fiddle heads though.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Mention of menstration is squick, not TMI. Now if I talked about period sex, then we'd have both squick and TMI. ;)

Julie said...

I got to try fiddleheads last year. They taste a little like asparagus. I think butter, salt, and pepper (or olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper) is exactly the way to go if they're fresh.

Unknown said...

I have heard about your skills as a chef! That plant looks a tad scary!

drollgirl said...

PHOOEY!!! that stinks!!