Thursday, August 27, 2009

Drama, That Didn't Have To Be So Dramatic

My sister's daughter, which would make her my niece, has two kids and was scheduled to unleash the third this morning after the OB induced labor. Instead, the baby went into distress and an emergency c-section was performed. Of course I got an hysterical phone call from my mother beginning with:
Mom - "Did your sister call you?"
Me - "Yesterday, but not today. Why?"
Mom - "TS has to have an emergency c-section. Something's wrong with the baby. I'm on my way to the hospital right now. Bye."
Click.
Ok. So, I'm worried about the baby, worried about TS, and pissed at my mother for dumping all of this on me and then hanging up! In the handbook of how not to handle a family crisis, the first chapter deals solely with dumping stressful news on someone and then cutting them off while you dash off to either spread the news further, or get your hair done and chat/shout it over with the other girls under the dryer.
Christ mom! I had all of these questions and all I got was a quick 'click'.
Anyway, I called my sister, and TS by that time had the baby (girl, 7lbs 2 oz, 19 inches long, thick shock of black hair, like my mom, that purveyor of doom), and everyone was fine. Junior had seen the baby, and TS was still in recovery. Then I told her what mom had done to me, basically scared the bejesus out of me and then hung up. Junior just sighed and whispered into her cellphone, 'I've got her helicopering around me right now. Makes me wonder why I never tried heroin.'
What a day. To combat my anxiety I made the ultimate comfort food, a pot of chicken soup! I also baked a loaf of bread to go along with. The carrots and onions in the soup came straight from my garden and when I diced the carrots juice was dripping from them! Juiciest and sweetest carrots I've ever grown, just glorious. I may have added too much acini de pepe, but I don't care. The more starch the better.
Finally, welcome to the clan, little Olivia! You and I share the same mitochondrial DNA passed down to us from the ever alarmist, Goo Goo (mom's grandma moniker).

5 comments:

Radical Bradacal said...

No ... there can never be enough starch. My family likes to play the Downplay game ... so instead of freak out games, I get the severity of the situation downplayed for me, or related to me entirely after the fact ... which makes me freak out inappropriately, because I was robbed of the proper place and time in which to react. *sigh*

But congrats on the newest member of the family!

Miss Kitty said...

Ah-ha-ha, that's my family, too. The 11th commandment for WASPs: "Thou shalt not create a scene." Must be why I majored in theater.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I can't imagine my family downplaying a scene. Where's the hysteria in that? Must be where I get my appreciate for the absurd :)

drollgirl said...

oh god! your mom and my mom are cut from the same cloth! SOMETIMES IT IS MADDENING!!!

but on the upside, i am glad everything is fine! welcome to the world, olivia!!!!

hope you have a great weekend. i believe cocktails are in order! :)

kadler said...

Yikes... sorry about the scare! Luckily, she sounds adorable. Congrats on the new family member!