Monday, April 6, 2009

A Fifth

Today MK and I are celebrating our 5th anniversary. And they said it wouldn't last. I despise 'they' and their nay saying tendencies.
Anyway, five years ago today, on a day much like this (cold, overcast, dreary early spring) we had our first date. It was at the Log Cabin restaurant. We sat near the bison head. I ordered a grilled chicken salad and she had some sort of sandwich wrap. She had a diet coke and I drank a Yuengling. She was all dressed up and I had on one of my kid's pullovers and I hadn't combed my hair.

Afterward I took her to the Appalachian Rock Shop. She bought her nieces and nephews some geodes and I bought some fossilized shark teeth.
Then we parted and I thought, man, this was the most boring date ever. I'd been so nervous before hand that I'd vomited, and then I remained so nervous that I did a poor job of upholding my end of the stilted conversation. Later I discovered that she'd been really nervous too. We'd gone from exciting, vibrant women, more interesting than string theory on crack, to the realm of the undatable, even or especially with each other. It was sad. Pathetic even.
Fortunately the second date went MUCH better, since we'd both given up on ourselves, if not each other. By the third date I was flashing her 'the twins' and on the fourth date we had sexy times.
It seems so stupid now that we were both so nervous on that first date, but I think that we both knew that we were somehow stumbling into our futures and freaked out.
Happy fifth, MK! Later we can toast the years ahead :)

9 comments:

gypsywee said...

Aw! Congratulations ladies. :D

drollgirl said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! i love the pic, and love the happy story. :)

Natazzz said...

Congrats.

Great date story.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Congrats! I've done that nervous thing before...

Snooker said...

Congratulations!

"By the third date I was flashing her the twins..."
Love it!
You went from rocky to smooth pretty quickly, eh?

Anonymous said...

Happy (Belated) 5th Anniversary, Jennifer and MK!

I just googled "Anniversaries" and it appears that it's either your "wood anniversary" (traditional) or "silverware anniversary" (modern). Bah! Who wants to follow "traditions"?

Your account of those "first dates" is most amusing. It's hard for me to imagine your nervousness, since I've seen the strong connection you share. (You're the type of couple who can "speak" without saying a word.)

Congratulations!
I wish you a lifetime of happiness!

Miss Kitty said...

Thanks for your good wishes. You all are too kind! Now I better download the pics from Niagara Falls, so Jennifer can post one!

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

To chime in with MK, thanks for all of the well wishes!!! You guys are the best :)

Charlotte said...

The twins, LOL. Congrats on 5 years! Cheers to many more.