Monday, August 25, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

There is something that I think is inherent to a blog: Creating a din in a vacuum - not unlike a ruckus lifting its head from a mouldering dais only to emit a death rattle and collapse once more. The egotistical aspects of the blogosphere have been (and are being) explored, with no resolution or rationale in sight. Not that I think resolution or rationale is demanded, just that it could be kind of nice, maybe even quaint.
Still, if the 1970s was the 'Me Generation' then the 2000s has emerged as 'It's All About Me 24/7 Generation'. Are we so special that we need nonstop coverage and self promotion? Yes and no, but mostly no. Yes, as individuals we are all unique and have our own way of perceiving the world and filtering the stimuli received into a (sometimes) cogent and relatable narrative. But blogging tends to sabotage perspective and cripple the narrative by its own medium - immediacy, lack of editing, and perhaps most importantly, lack of fore and hind thought. Because really, if you don't take the time to stop and reflect about what has happened or what you're thinking - and why - and what it all potentially might mean, but instead regurgitate a hastily conceived blogpost, you slip into the pit of reactionary-ism. All validity is carelessly tossed aside in the rush to simply say something. To say anything. And while 'Say Anything' is quite a good movie, actually saying anything is not the sort of credo that lends itself to expanding awareness.
Have I been immune to the pitfalls of blogging? Certainly not. I've slapped together dreck and hit the 'publish' button, even when I knew that it was not worth my own time to write this drivel, let alone worth some stranger's time to read it. Hack schlockiness at its most supreme. Useless psuedo literary chicanery masquerading as instant accessibility to the inner workings of someone else's life. As if that's all the excuse anyone needs to blather on without nary a thought or backward glance.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer. I linked your page through one of my other friends and thought I'd gander over your way today...immediately found myself in a crappier mood than I already was in when I arrived at work this morning. My earlier jubilation at having found someone close to my age on this vast voidness of blog world were quickly dashed upon reading your latest "What Was I Thinking?". Maybe I'm being too sensitive coming off a difficult night of no-sleep-thanks-to-former-psycho-friend but I felt your statements could have been directly aimed at me?? Gawd, I hope not...maybe you and I just have different thoughts on what blogging is for...what its purpose is...for me, it's mostly about getting stuff out of my system so that I don't burden my family and friends. Yes, I admit I have my own worries, as per one of my other blogs, that, perhaps, I've lost my strong skills and abilities to write about things that are interesting...or perhaps I'm just going through a difficult phase right now and, hence, my writings are just simply angry and boring to reflect my depressive state of mind. But, at this moment, I'm fighting a losing battle with myself in trying to feel ok with what I blog about.
No one should feel shitty about what they write...some is good, some is bad, some is downright horrifying but the "right to write" is still ours no matter who does or doesn't like it.
I hope your day will be better than mine. I'm going for tea now to see if I can break this mood.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Hey Wicked. No, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just making an observation. An observation perhaps about myself and perhaps also about how I feel about my own writing at times.
I guess I'm mired down in my own search for meaning in the blogosphere and I projected that blindly.

Unknown said...

and now i feel crappier...must be something in the air! please know, Jennifer, i didn't want or need an apology but thank you as it is graciously accepted...as i said before, i may be on a sensitive streak these days...every day it seems we are bombarded by criticism from all levels and there are days that it becomes too much and we lash out...i usually lash out viciously but do hope that i refrained from that level with you as that was not my goal in this case...and, i, too, probably lashed out because i actually do feel guilty lately that my writings are not as they used to be which was: informative and entertaining...but i must be going through a nasty phase..regardless, thank you..sincerely...and i tip my tea mug to you for new beginnings?

have a great day, Jennifer

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

So far my day has actually been pretty good, despite everything. I just found myself ridiculously amused by the USA Today headline: Kate Hudson Sued By Scientists. Who would've ever thought that Kate Hudson would even know scientists let alone be sued by them? It's almost like something you'd see in The Onion, not USA Today ;)
Anyway, Wick, you too should have a good day. I guess we should all lighten up on ourselves and not expect each keystroke to be stellar.
Sorry that I started this whole mess in the first place, but at least I found your blog out of all of this! I'll make sure that I drop by now and again to see what's up.