Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Crow Watch

I bought some expired professional grade black and white film awhile back on ebay. The thing about film v. digital images is that film is not immediate (except for Polaroids) and with film you never know quite what you're going to get. That's why I bought the expired film. I wanted the flaws and the potential hinkiness of film long past its prime. It's also why I still use a broken Soviet-era FED-3 rangefinder camera. Wow, with that thing you (I) NEVER know for even a second what's going to come back from the developing lab. I used to have a darkroom in my house, the house I lived in before this house, but I just don't want to bother with that work anymore. Now I send everything out and then tinker with the pics on the computer. Sometimes I clean things up and sometimes I take the contrast to extremes. In this picture shown I left it as it was. It's MK at Allegheny Cemetery. There'd been a piece in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about huge flocks of crows roosting in the old growth trees bordering the boneyard and I wanted to see if we could see them for ourselves. A cemetery is eerie enough without the ill harbinger represented by crows.
Anyway, we did see some crows, but not a swarm of 'em, and not any close enough for me to get a good picture of. Instead we walked around and I just took pics of headstones. Here MK is walking through the Civil War section of the cemetery. The day was about as bleak as a day can be and not be night.

No comments: