Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How I Spent Some Of That Ebay Money

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Camera, Pittsburgh, 2016


I finally pried open ye olde wallet and bought the camera that I've had my eye on since May 2013.  Clearly I am not concerned with buying the latest thing, but I am concerned with getting what fits with my style of photography.  And, navigating the digital field of equipment has been interesting, enlightening.  Switching from film to digital was not a quick transition for me.  I resisted for a long time because the new tech was both new (obviously) and pricey (eep).  I didn't want to feel the need to upgrade with each advancement in features and picture quality.  Now, the megapixels are such that quality, resolution, are much less of an issue than they were ten years ago.
Now I have two good digital cameras that I'm happy with.  I bought the first one, a Panasonic Lumix FZ40 fixed lens model, 12.1 mp, about five years ago.  It's really a wonderful camera to have in your bag, at the ready, for all of those fleeting moments that demand to be captured.  The only thing I missed from my old film Pentax A3000 SLR was the ability to switch out lenses, especially for landscape and nature shots.  That's when I started scouting out the Lumix DMC-GX1, 16.1 mp, digital SLR.  The Panasonic Lumix brand is my camera of choice and the reasons why are quality and price.  Quality in that the lenses are designed and crafted by Leica, and price because the cameras are much less expensive than Nikon or Canon (two brands I have never used anyway).
Basically I'm pretty excited to finally have this camera that I've been mooning over for so long.  I hope to do it justice with some good work, but I also have no problem with mediocrity.
And here endeth this untended advertisement.

No comments: