Thursday, February 5, 2009

And Now, soMe tHouGhts on Photography

Context is everything. But in viewing photographs you often get an image and nothing more. You fill in the blanks. Even if you do get contextual text, it might not make much sense, beyond being disturbing, and, depending on your feelings for clowns, fun.
Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other place in the world. One day MK and I were out walking and we passed beneath one of them. I shot straight up at the girders. I only shoot film because it's what I know and what I feel comfortable with. Here I was using a Pentax A 3000 loaded with Kodak Gold 100 film (expired). The original didn't come back from the processing lab very impressive, so I started digitally tinkering with the contrast. The rust on the main beam bled red while the bit of paint that remained on the lesser support emerged a more brilliant yellow. The shadows completely engulfed the rest of the structure so that I ended up with an incongruentous architectural representation of form without form. Does that even make sense? Gotta love open interpretation!

4 comments:

Our Gratitude Journal said...

Thanks for the mention. I liked how you segue from Spitzle into the girders. Nice photo, too.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

When I first stumbled upon Spitzle I didn't know what to make of it. Then I kept going back. It's insideous, the photography sets the perfect mood and text is also a spot on accompaniment.
Waiting to see where you take it next!

drollgirl said...

rad! i love the contrast and how it is so abstract. well done!

Anonymous said...

"The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection."
::: Michelangelo ::

I likey...and if you have a chance to visit my sight I would appreciate any feedback. Cheers!