Wednesday, December 31, 2008

United States of Tara


Well, dammit, I'm going to have to get Showtime. Currently I have HBO, and I refuse to pay for more than one premium channel, which means that I'm going to have to shit can HBO and switch to SHO. I did that a couple of years ago so that I could watch The L Word in real time, and I'm not going to rant about TLW, but Jesus H. Christ on a raft, that show sucks. It's so in love with itself that I just want to bash it with the claw end of a hammer. I realize that as a lesbian I'm supposed to ignore all of TLW's shortcomings and embrace it like a kitten, but as a human being with functioning neural pathways i just can't drink that much.
Anyway, I had the pleasure of viewing the pilot episode of SHO's new comedy, "The United States of Tara". Let me tell you, I have never, ever, seen anything like it. And in this case, that's a good thing.
Diablo Cody is back, writing up a storm, and Toni Collette sinks her teeth, nails, and inner dude into the titular role of Tara (is that redundant?) with amazing results. Tara is the married mother of two, and she has a couple of multiple personalities. Now, I've only seen the first episode, but thus far this show is the freshest take on family dysfunction since "Arrested Development". Definitely check this show out when it premiers, Sunday January 18...I mention the date only because it happens to also be my birthday! Yes, I was born on a cold, unforgiving winter evening. Slipping into the world while my mother lay hypnotized (really) on a gurney in the hospital and my father chain smoked in the waiting room. While I remember a lot of the events of my childhood, sadly, I don't recall my birth at all and have to rely on what I've been told.

No comments: