Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ribollita


I was foolish enough to ask Miss Kitty what she'd really like for dinner. I thought she'd say something easy like baked mac and cheese or burritos. No. She said ribollita.

Now, for the uninitiated, ribollita is a Tuscan bread soup that starts off as minestrone and then evolves in the following days. Yes, that's right, days. So, if you just happen to have a pot of minestrone lying around your kitchen, then you're in luck! But if you have to make the minestrone first, sharpen your knives because that baby spinach isn't going to chop itself. So, yesterday I spent much of the afternoon making minestrone soup, which was then served for supper along with some garlic bread. Now today I get to try out one of two recipes for the ribollita: One by Giada De Laurentiis or one I got off of divinacucina.com. The latter looks more promising and more appetizing to me, so despite my sister's straight girl crush on Giada, I think I'm going with divinacucina. God only knows how this is going to turn out because even though I've made minestrone soup many times before, I've never made ribollita and I'm a little concerned that it'll come out too clumpy, if that's even possible.
Ah well. I'm sure that if I just serve it with a big enough glass of chianti everything will be fine.

No comments: