Friday, November 16, 2007

Cover Girl

As I slouch toward the weekend, and the first snow flurries of the season cascade idly from a steely sky, I can't help but be warmed by this bit of artistic genius rendered by the incomparable Jo Chen. I've loved each and every Buffy comic season 8 cover painted by Chen. Sadly, it's been reported that Chen is stepping aside from her duties, at least for the time being. Why? Who knows. Artist Jon Foster is going to replace her, at least for the time being.
I dunno. Chen's covers on issues 1-9 are nothing short of inspired, and inspiring. She lends an authenticity to her character portrayals that never slips into comic bookland of ridiculous female forms or stances. Yes, Supergirl, I'm looking at the clowns who pencil you. So even though Faith is nude on the cover of Issue 9, she doesn't look as if she's posing for a posse of losers at some strip club.

I for one will miss Chen's brilliant work and hope we get her back soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang, it's a shame that we'll be losing Jo Chen after the next issue.