Monday, June 30, 2008

Mutter Museum

If you are ever anywhere remotely near Philadelphia, you absolutely must visit the Mutter Museum. It's that rarest of places: Completely unique in and of itself. Pictured here we have the 140lb colon that attributed to the death of some dude. Simply, he couldn't poop, got backed up and kept getting more backed up until he finally, mercifully, expired. Look at that thing. Look at it! It's bigger than some people I know. Grown people too, not babies or trolls.
This exhibit was the most horrifying thing to MK, but I was totally squicked out by the syphilis heads. Sure, I knew that syphilis was a terrible scourge-y STD, but I had no idea that it would eat through your flesh and bones. Some of the skulls on display looked like they were made of lace tatted by an arthritic blind monkey drunk on overripe mangoes. Absolutely terrifying, and one more reason I'm glad and grateful that I'm 46 years STD free and counting. One of the many and varied perks of being a lesbian. Well, a picky sexual partner lesbian anyway. Sure, I had my wild youth back in the day, but even then I wasn't sowing nothing but wild oats. I had what some referred to as an 'abrasive personality', which thwarted endless possibilities and/or opportunities to become infected with unsavory and debilitating foreign agents. See the hidden benefits of speaking what's on your mind? It means that you get to keep your mind, even if you get uninvited to an orgie.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I LOVED the Mutter Museum -- I was in Philly a couple of years ago on a business trip, and sick as hell -- but I had a little time and I walked on over.

Oh, worth it, very worth it.

I thought it was beautiful -- it's extraordinary, the different ways humans can be constructed. Horns growing out of foreheads. Twins attached in various directions. Amazing.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Hey pandora! Thanks for dropping by. It's really hard to convey how amazing the Mutter truly is. It's like the kind of place Disney characters go to die, and then they get defleshed and mounted in a display case.

Natazzz said...

Sounds like my kind of museum.