Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Are Back

Is anything more meta than someone taking a picture of you taking a picture? MK took this pic while I was shooting the New York regiment memorial at Gettysburg. The day was on the verge of raining, and indeed it did start raining in full force once we were perched on Little Round Top. Let me tell ya, those rock out crops get might slippery once they're wet.
Gettysburg was astounding, a must visit for anyone passing through. I'm not at all a Civil War buff, but there's an undeniable clarity, due in large part because of the geography, afforded by this battle site to the inevitable outcome to this war. Seldom can you stand and look at something and say, Yes, I see. MK and I rode horses through the battleground where Pickett's Charge took place and I can't imagine a more colossal strategic folly than this one. Lee had been nearly flawless in his guidance over the CSA forces heretofore, but when he fucked up, he did it on a cosmic scale. Even now somewhere in a distant galaxy, a baby nebula weeps.
Next up: The Mutter Museum. Who knew syphilis was so horrifying?

2 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

I still have to say, I miss the old electric map, though. It did a pretty good job of clarifying the battle, too. Can't believe they're putting it in mothballs, but I guess that's better than trashing it altogether. At least there's a shot they'll resurrect it.

Looking forward to your Mutter posting, Sweetie!

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

And yet you were at the Mutter, and I richly know your most squicked moment...Oh, a 140lb colon is its own horror, or reward, I'd say, but isn't that copyrighted by a disposable enema company? I still can't believe how massive that thing was. It looked like something from a 60s B-movie. 'Attack of Baby Jane's Lower Colon'. Blanche would've really blanched then, forget the rat dinner ;)