Wednesday, April 6, 2016
A couple of days ago the weather was mild, sunny, spring-like. Of course that's all gone to hell and the winter we never had is being visited upon us. Still, while out walking the dog when it was nice, I discovered these mushrooms growing on an old oak tree stump. I picked a couple so that I could identify them when I got home. It's uncommon for any mushroom that isn't in the Coprinus family to have a purely black spore print, so that was my first clue in identifying it. Even the darkest mushroom spore prints are either brown or a deep purplish-brown, not black. This one is truly black. The alcohol inky mushroom is so-called because while it is deemed 'edible', if you consume it and booze, it generally leads to severe gastro distress. How much you drink dictates how ill you will become. Typically I only eat wild mushrooms that my friend Al picks. That man knows his mushrooms! And since I always, always, have wine with dinner, I would never, ever tempt fate with anything in the Coprinus line.