In the last week I've come across some firsts in death certificates such as death by rabies (11 year old girl, bitten by a dog in 1922), but today's death was surprising, a 10 month old male infant, primary cause of death was eczema, 1889. I looked it up, and sure enough, there was a medical article from The Journal of Pediatrics written in 1934 discussing sudden infant death from eczema. It was not common, but it did occur, and they didn't understand why a case that did not present as dire led to sudden death. Had to be infection going systemic, right? Prior to antibiotics any kind of infection could kill you. I had a 3x great aunt die from a needle prick on her finger going septic. Her death certificate listed as an attributing cause of death: slight indigestion.
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment