Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Best Summer Read

With Labor Day in the rear view mirror, summer, if not officially, technically, has drawn to a close.  Adieu, summer of 2015, like always, your lazy days were too fleeting and few.
As I reflect upon what recently was, the best book, by far, that I read this summer was Anthony Doerr's Pulitzer prize winning novel, "All The Light We Cannot See".  While it begins a bit clunky, where to me the narrative felt forced, but by page 24 the writing became fluid, a slip-stream into another era, with characters I cared deeply for, and I was transported.  Sometimes I think that no one can write another thing about about World War II that is in the least bit original, wave a light in some unexplored recess of that horror, but Doerr did just that.  And now, damn him, I'll have to check out the rest of his works because a book this good isn't an anomaly, I'm sure.

No comments: