Thursday, May 28, 2015

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other...

...One Of These Things Does Not Belong, Pittsburgh, 2014


This past weekend was the Memorial Day weekend where we honor those who served and died in the armed forces of the United States.   Last year on Memorial Day my wife and I went to the military section of a nearby cemetery to pay our respects.  It was a quiet sunny day, perfect for reflection.
Then I spotted a Civil War era grave with both an American flag and a confederate flag and I was appalled.  I can't tell you how tempted I was to pull out my lighter and set it on fire.  The very symbol of slavery and treason planted in the ground of the northern state that saw the battle (Gettysburg) that brought about the end of the Civil War.  Disgraceful.  I find the confederate flag as hateful and offensive as the Nazi flag.  Afterall, they represent very similar ideals of oppression and hate.
I wish I had set it on fire.

No comments: