Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Affordable Floors

I am currently pulling up all of the wall-to-wall carpets in the house.  Shown here is the dining room, which has already been completed, as have the stairs, upstairs landing/hallway, both spare bedrooms, and a quarter of the living room.  Only the master bedroom and three quarters of the living room remain.  This has proven to be exhausting.  I'm sore all over.  First, moving all of that furniture, then cutting up the carpets in sections, rolling it up, tying it off, piling it up in the basement until trash day, then crawling around on the floor wrenching free countless tack strips, brads, and staples.  Please do not make the erroneous assumption that I am some DIY devotee.  No, what I really am is cheap, or more kindly, frugal.  So, so many home improvement projects I've undertaken myself solely because I didn't want to part with the cash it would require to get someone else in here to do it.  The biggest upshot with getting rid of these carpets is that the hardwood floors underneath are in excellent condition, and progress can be seen immediately.  That's what keeps me going.  That, and the thought of a Duquesne beer at the end of a long day.
The dog and the cat, as pictured here, are no help and often get in the way.

No comments: