Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Not All That






For years I've heard from a few people that The Wire is the best show that's ever been on television.  Ever.  EVER!  That's saying a lot, so you would think that I would rush out and watch the show, but it's been off the air for seven years and I am only just now getting around to it.  While I do watch police procedurals, it's not my preferred genre.  Still, we decided it was time to see what the fuss was about, so we checked the first season DVDs out at our local library.
Immediately upon viewing the first few minutes of the premier episode it became excruciatingly obvious that Dominic West, a British actor cast to play a Baltimore detective, could not do an American accent.  His approximation of an American accent sounds an awful lot like an Irish accent.  It's extremely distracting and detracts from the viewing experience as a whole.  Another problem that I have is that out of a cast of seemingly thousands there are what, two women?  Two women.  Boo Hiss!  The show itself is ok, not this towering colossus of small screen utter genius and staggering brilliance that I'd been led to believe.  
I'll finish out the first season, I'm half way through it right now, and then decide if I'll check out the next season at the library.  It's no Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, hell, it isn't even The X-Files - including the bad years.

No comments: