Thursday, October 30, 2014

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season 10, Issue 8

                                         BtVS, 10.8, Cover Art by Steve Morris


     Since I posted the cover art, I listed the artist, but really, what this post is about is the genius team of  writer Christos Gage and artist Rebekah Isaacs.  This pair consistently produces a book that feels and seems like an episode of my favorite, yet defunct, show.
Dark Horse initially brought Gage and Isaacs on board for season 9 of the "Angel & Faith"  comic and right from the very first issue I could tell that they really had a handle on the voice and presentation of these characters.  Meanwhile over at the Buffy comic, season 9 proved to be uneven, even by season 8 standards.  The "Angel & Faith" had a clear vision of what story it was telling, and made it the book I must looked forward to each month.  I'll be honest, I was a little peeved when I learned that Gage and Isaacs had been shifted to Buffy for season 10.  I'm a big fan of the problematic Faith, and something of a fan of the ever brooding and long-suffering Angel.  I didn't want Buffy to improve at the expense of Angel & Faith...And 8 issues into season 10 I can say that while the Buffy book is the best it's ever been, Angel & Faith haven't disappeared down a hellmouth either.
There.  I wrote the whole thing without a single spoiler!
SPOILER!!!!!!!  ALERT!!!!!!!

Giles dies and is resurrected as an adolescent



No comments: