Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cheapness

I wanted a Leica, but while perusing cameras on ebay I got seduced (self deluded) into thinking that a Soviet-era Russian Fed-5 was just as good at a fraction of the price. Tiny wee insane fraction. So, I bid on it and was lucky enough to win. I sent off a money order for $40 to (the) Ukraine and waited by the mailbox with the cat and a can of Schlitz.
All things not being equal, and my cheapness being the bane of my existence, I soon discovered what legions of former Soviets must've already known. The camera is, how shall I say, lacking. It is just this side of junk. But me, being stubborn beyond all reason, decided to make the best of it. What you see in this image is actually one of the 'good' quality pics taken with that demon camera. Notice how the frames overlap on the negative, how the colors are less than sharp, and how the subjects bleed into the background. Is it genius or bullshit? Both! Say I, trying desperately to hold onto the tattered vestiges of my self esteem and credibility.

Ah well. At least I've resisted the urge to buy Chinese farm raised fish on sale at Bi-Lo.

No comments: