Monday, April 13, 2015
The oyster mushroom, and all of its variants, are easily identifiable, nonpoisonous*, and usually delicious. The outcrop of oyster mushrooms that I happened upon yesterday during a hike were a bit dried out and past their prime, so I left them as they were.
*Still, a word of caution when it comes to collecting wild mushrooms: Be aware of what you are picking if you plan to eat it, and preferably have someone knowledgeable with you when you first start hunting mushrooms in the wild to aid you in proper identification. It is essential that you NEVER misidentify a mushroom as the consequences can be deadly. If in doubt, leave it be.