Wednesday, July 23, 2008

An Open Letter to Carmike Cinemas


Dear to Whom It May Concern:

Yesterday I had the misfortune of seeing "Batman: The Dark Knight" at one of your Carmike megaplexes, specifically the one in Cranberry Township, north of beautiful downtown Pittsburgh. I have no beef with the movie, but I take exception to the amount of time we were forced before the movie started to endure commercials and movie previews. Twenty-six, count 'em, 26!, minutes of ads for stuff that I will now forever boycott, followed by an endless string of movie trailers that I will not even netflix because I am that pissed off.
What ghoul in marketing thinks that it's a good idea to subject a movie-goer to this amount of tripe? I despise these advertising fiends. I'm willing to sit through a reasonable amount of crap before the main feature rolls, but edging close to half an hour of forced viewing is ridiculous. Why not list the start time of the movie as 1pm instead of 12:30pm?
I realize that I am not the first person to gripe on this subject, and I doubt I'll be the last, but I do want to make Carmike aware that this is effecting my willingness to go to one of their theaters to see a movie. In fact, when I go to see "The X-Files" movie this weekend I am actively avoiding going to Carmike. I'm just not that thrilled by Coke and JC Penney commercials, especially the latter's idiotic rip-off of "The Breakfast Club", to throw a half an hour of my life down a blackhole of suckiness.
Anyway, have a great day, and if I believed in hell I'd tell you all to go there.
Cordially,
jennifer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT???

You´re pissed off because you have to waste almost 45 minutes with information you never wanted and will never need???

Dear Jennifer, I thought that was common practice.

What I normally do is buy the ticket, buy snacks and drinks, consume them, use the place with the running waters and then take my seat just before they close the door.
Perhaps that´ll only work with assigned seat numbers but that´s how we do it. Particularly since the commercials we are forced to watch/avoid are not half as good as the ones you get to see.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Not every theater subjects you to endless dreck before the featured dreck begins, dear ygfa. Some show a couple of movie trailers and that's it, no ads at all. Some show a couple of ads and a bunch of trailers, others show a zillion ads and trailers. I hate the latter. It's why I don't feel guilty at all for sneaking in my own snacks and bottled tap water.
Boy, have I got a non-tap water bottled water rant. Sigh, it'll have to be for another day.

Natazzz said...

If your popcorn is done before the movie starts there were too many commercials...

Would love to hear your "non-tap water bottled water rant" ;-)

Unknown said...

damn, girl...and you're worried about your writing skills??? i love your blogs....and way to tell them off! i love a girl with 'balls'...lol..ok, bad analogy...how about chutzpah...or spunk?? ;-)