Monday, March 7, 2016

Snap Shot 1960

The Farm, 1960*


My great-grandfather with his favorite hunting beagle, Queenie, an unknown woman kneeling, and my great-grandmother.  I've been thinking a lot about great-grandmother lately because last week, after I made vegetable stock with kitchen scrap greens, I used that stock to make potato soup.  Grandma used to make me potato soup all the time.  We lived across a hay field from the farm, and my younger sister and I spent a lot of time with our great-grandparents.  Grandma always had M&Ms in her apron pockets, and she'd cook whatever you were hungry for, at any time.  For me it was always either buttered macaroni or potato soup.  She called me 'dough belly', and it wasn't because I was fat.
*This picture was taken two years before I was born.

No comments: